Wednesday, 16 September 2015

DELAYED PENALTY by SOPHIA HENRY

‘From the scar on his left cheek to the smug smirk of his lips, he was exactly my type; dangerous, confident, and totally lickable.’



Publication date: 1st September
Publisher: Random House
Format/Source: e-Book/ Publisher

Synopsis
She closed her heart long ago. He just wants to open her mind. For fans of Toni Aleo and Sawyer Bennett, the debut of Sophia Henry's red-hot Detroit Pilots series introduces a hockey team full of complicated men who fight for love.

Auden Berezin is used to losing people: her father, her mother, her first love. Now, just when she believes those childhood wounds are finally healing, she loses something else: the soccer scholarship that was her ticket to college. Scrambling to earn tuition money, she's relieved to find a gig translating for a Russian minor-league hockey player—until she realizes that he's the same dangerously sexy jerk who propositioned her at the bar the night before.

Equal parts muscle and scar tissue, Aleksandr Varenkov knows about trauma. Maybe that's what draws him to Auden. He also lost his family too young, and he channeled the pain into his passions: first hockey, then vodka and women. But all that seems to just melt away the instant he kisses Auden and feels a jolt of desire as sudden and surprising as a hard check on the ice.

After everything she's been through, Auden can't bring herself to trust any man, let alone a hot-headed puck jockey with a bad reputation. Aleksandr just hopes she'll give him a chance—long enough to prove he's finally met the one who makes him want to change.


My thoughts

The one thing that appealed to me the most about this novel was, wait for it, not the romance, it was the ice hockey.  I’m an ice hockey fan and love the game more than any other sport in the UK! So, admittedly, I was very interested in the hockey. 

Whilst the hockey part was interesting, I didn’t really get enough of it. Auden spends more time in the locker room, translating for Aleksandr.  Whilst some parts were believable, I found the Russian a little off putting.  Strange, I know, as this is the reason why she works with him on the first place.  I felt a different kind of relationship, not translator, may have worked better.... maybe it’s just me.

Whilst Aleksandr is very hot! He is, trust me, I just didn’t feel ‘it’ between the two main characters.

**Spoiler Alert**

 I just didn’t understand how they can go through the entire relationship, kisses and hotness, and then he leaves to go play hockey elsewhere and then BAM! She’s a virgin and they’ve only just slept together!  Honestly, like 90% into the book!!

Where did that come from?

I did enjoy the book for what it was however, it didn’t push me to read the entire series.



1 comment: