Saturday, 29 August 2015

EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING by NICOLA YOON

‘Is it always like that?’ I ask, breathless.
‘No,’ he says. ‘It’s never like that.’

I hear the wonder in his voice.  And just like that, everything changes.




Publication date: September 2015
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Format/Source: e-Book/ Publisher




LIVE LIFE IN A BUBBLE?
OR RISK EVERYTHING FOR LOVE?


Maddy is allergic to the world.
She hasn't left her house in seventeen years.

Olly is the boy next door.
He's determined to find a way to reach her.


Everything, Everything is about the crazy risks we take for love.



My thoughts

**review contains spoilers**

Compelling.  Beautiful.  Inspiring. Life-changing.  EVERYTHING. 


I’ve had to sit back a few days and ponder on what I wanted to say about this book, and even now, whilst I type this, I can’t find the right words.  I don’t think I can do this book justice with my review so I just beg and plead with you all to grab a copy and live it, breathe it, devour it!

There’s something really special about a book, about an author, who can take the importance of life, the wonder of the smallest of things and create such a beautiful journey, and with Maddy we get that.  The first time you see the blue sky, smell flowers, feel the grass, sand in your toes.  The first time you truly fall in love.  The first time of first times!

In Everything, Everything, you met Maddy who has lived her entire life in the bubble of her house, the risk of heading outside, even for a few seconds, could kill her.  Since a family tragedy, she’s very close to her Mom and she’s happy with her life, happy to spend nights playing Pictionary with her Mom, happy to remain in this bubble, that’s until she sees the neighbour next door for the first time. Olly is about to change her life.

From the first moment Olly brings that Bundt cake as a ‘hello, we are your new neighbours’ to her house, only for it to be rejected. I’m hooked. I mean, I was really interested in the story anyway but I held my breath as her mother rejected the cake, laughed at their reaction and then things got ten times funnier!


Night Four

I can’t stand it.  I peek outside from the corner of my curtains.
The Bundt is sitting on the sill, Band-Aids and bandages covering half its body. Olly is nowhere to be found.


Night Six

The Bundt is lying on a white sheet.  An upside down plastic water bottle is attached to what looks like a coat hanger and is hanging above the cake.  A string hangs from the bottle to the Bundt like an IV.  Olly appears wearing a white jacket and stethoscope.  He’s frowning down at the Bundt and listening for a heartbeat.  I want to laugh but I don’t let myself.  Olly looks up and shakes his head solemnly.  I close my curtains, suppressing a smile, and walk away.


 Night Seven

I tell myself that I won’t look, but as the soon as the first ping sounds I’m at the window. Olly is wearing a black bathrobe with an oversized silver cross around his neck.  He’s performing last rites on a Bundt.

Finally I cannot help it.  I laugh and laugh and laugh.  He looks up and grins back.


I have to say I’m in love with how this book is set out, the chapters, the illustrations, they are just amazing.  I have to know, NEED to know, if there is another book that will follow on from Everything, Everything, because their journey CANNOT be finished.  I refuse to believe it! There’s so much more to do, to live through with Maddy and Olly.

A brilliant and perfect new book and author to add to my ever growing library!



0 comments:

Post a Comment